About Me

My photo
Every since I was a young girl, I have always wanted to travel. I am 31 and I am breathing deeply and walking on my journey intuitively. Since 2007, I have been to Kemet (Egypt), Turks and Caicos, Jamaica, Ghana, Bahamas, and now I am on my way to China for a few months. I am interested in seeing what this experience has in store for me. After several years of working in corporate america, an opportunity presented itself where my position was posted and I had to reapply. Ultimately, I decided not to apply which opted me to receive a severance package. I can now follow my heart's desire and remain free to choose without any added pressures. I am going on a SABBATICAL. I created this blog to keep my family, friends, and former colleagues in the loop. Stay tune for more.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Week 4-6: Living daily life like a Chinese citizen...

Since I have been back from Sanya, I have been living daily life like the average Chinese citizen. The weather has been extremely cold for me, so venturing outside has been a dreadful task. So it’s easy for me to admit, I procrastinate every time I have to leave the apartment. On a positive note, I am becoming use to walking all the time, taking taxis and public transportation. Interestingly, I have not missed driving. Well, I never really liked driving anyway, so not driving isn’t such a bad notion. At least, I know if sun is shining, I have an opportunity to get my vitamin D. In these last couple of weeks, not much has happen. However, I had several opportunities to take the public transportation and taxis without any assistance. I must say it’s a liberating experience to do this by myself. I have also noticed how safe it is here verses the states…people are more curious here than criminal. It’s so safe that the police don’t carry weapons.
Some stories in this life can’t be made up…you just have to experience them. Stories like being offered a job by a Chinese business, man who worked at the Tianjin Chamber of commerce. The offer came after having a delicious brunch with my friends at the Renaissance in TEDA. Just as we were leaving the hotel’s lounge and dining area to head home, a man came over and sat down. This man could not speak any English, so he had his driver get the hotel’s bar staff to help translate. It was difficult understanding, because the hotel staff spoke very little English, so it was safe to say not much was accomplished. What’s funny is all he wanted to know was if we would sing and our salary. It didn’t matter if we knew how to sing or if we knew the words. He said via translation, “the Chinese would not know the difference.” After realizing it would be better to have an English translator then he provided us with complimentary rooms at the Renaissance, and setup a meeting for the following day so we could have a professional translator present. Ultimately, nothing came of it because it difficult coordinating a meeting. I can help wonder the of the career possibilities in China. I need to get my wheels turning.
Over this past weekend, we went to Beijing. Some of Kellie’s friends she met while living here came in town and we went to hang out with them. It was fun eating delicious food, shopping and hanging with beautiful. By the way, a friend and former colleague of mine highly recommended a restaurant called The Brown Door. The food was absolutely amazing. We all raved about and can't wait to eat there again.

SIDE NOTE: It is so crowded in China that I unquestionably need a break from the crowds. It’s funny how prior to coming here… I originally had an idea in my head how this journey would turn out. Honestly, the journey so far is from what I expected. I thought that I would burst with creativity and my pad and pencil would jump out of my hand from writing so much poetry. However, it is far from the truth, I feel a tad empty in the creativity department. I haven’t written anything other updating my blog. I am thankful for the opportunity to experience China in this capacity. Seven weeks in, and I have learned a lot more about myself. Five more weeks and I will be home.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,
    Just a note to say hello and that I've enjoyed reading your blog. Sounds like you are having an interesting time there. Hope the weather turns around so that you can get out and enjoy yourself.

    Be safe,
    Linh

    ReplyDelete
  2. What have you learned about yourself TP? :)

    ES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linh! I agree the time here has been very interesting and beneficial. China is having an extended winter, so I probably will not have the opportunity to experience its warmth. Take Care!



    Hi Eddy, That's a good question. Where do I start? I have learned and confirmed that I don't have to travel far to clear my mind. I realized that it doesn't matter where I am if all of the components are not right...mentally I will still be in the same position. Destination is only one aspect of my journey, but being aware of my needs and listening to myself has truly been the lesson. I have learned not to participate in accommodating if I don't have enough in me to accommodate and ultimately denying myself in the process. Energy is very powerful and I am going to have to make sure I am discriminating with the energy I allow in my space. This has been something I have struggled with, but I am truly committed to taking the time I need to be better person for myself and my loved ones. Eddy, thank you for asking this question, and I didn't mean to bore you with my long reply. :)

    ReplyDelete