About Me

My photo
Every since I was a young girl, I have always wanted to travel. I am 31 and I am breathing deeply and walking on my journey intuitively. Since 2007, I have been to Kemet (Egypt), Turks and Caicos, Jamaica, Ghana, Bahamas, and now I am on my way to China for a few months. I am interested in seeing what this experience has in store for me. After several years of working in corporate america, an opportunity presented itself where my position was posted and I had to reapply. Ultimately, I decided not to apply which opted me to receive a severance package. I can now follow my heart's desire and remain free to choose without any added pressures. I am going on a SABBATICAL. I created this blog to keep my family, friends, and former colleagues in the loop. Stay tune for more.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week 3- Sanya, on an island in South China

 
I went to a shopping mall a couple days before going on my trip to Sanya which is on an Island in China, and I went into this store and tried on a few clothes. Granted, I wear a medium size in the states, but I had to pick up the largest size they carried. Everything in the store was for smaller body figures. The store clerks seemed so fascinated with me and began to play dress up. Every time, I tried something on they would bring me something else to put on. They were gesturing with their hands referring to my curves. It was truly a different experience. One young lady touched my hair and said, “Oh, ohhh… I love your hair”, and in the same breath she touches her hair and mentioned, “I can’t do anything…my hair too straight”.

The day we were to fly to Sanya we had a car pick us up to take us to the Tianjin airport. When we walked through airport security, I quickly realized that security is not as strict as the US’ when it comes to domestic flights. We went through security and didn’t have to take our shoes off or remove liquid items from our bags. I even once walked through the security check  and the person at the scanner was asleep.  Upon arrival we were on display again with people looking at us. I have caught several people taking pictures of me without my permission. For example, this man was trying to discretely take my photo without my knowledge, but I caught him in the act so I began to smile and wave towards the camera, but he didn’t notice until after he reviewed his pictures on his camera. He then looked at me and smiled and waved back. So I figured, I would take a photo of him and provide him with a smile and a head nod afterwards. After waiting for a while, we realized that our plane was delayed. Even though, it had not arrived people were standing in line to get on the plane as if it was time to board. When the plane finally arrived, we began to board and people were practically running to get on the plane.  Even after the big rush, once getting on we were still delayed and had to sit on the plane. When we finally took flight an elderly Chinese man began to argue the flight attendant. I was amazed that he was able to get away with that while in flight without any repercussion. Then midway through the flight someone began to smoke.(WOW) Everything is truly different here.

When we arrived at the Sanya airport and we were waiting on our bags, a man who was on the plane with us began urinating in the corner at baggage claim.  I guess he couldn’t wait to find a restroom. By the way, since I have been here I have noticed the hygiene practices are far different from the states people cough/sneeze without covering their mouths. They spit anywhere… inside, outside, where ever they choose.  Wearing a face mask is very necessary and common practice here. I’m noticing a trend, that sanitation here is not high on the priority list in this country. 

While on the island, we went to the beach several times, Yanoda Rainforest, and Hot Springs. Hot Springs was particularly interesting as it had a Fish Therapeutic Spring, where I sat in extremely hot water for 15 minutes, so the pores can open. Then I had to step out of the hot water to immerse my body in a pool of fish that suck the dead skin off of my body. It definitely, takes some time to get use to.

Everywhere we went, we were definitely on exhibit as if we were a part of the main tourism attractions. Being stared at in this manner takes tough skin. I know some of the people of this country maybe use to seeing foreigners but it’s truly different when your skin looks brown like mine. People have been snapping pictures and video tapping us. I have been going through several phases during this journey.
****The phases are as follows:
I notice them looking and I give a friendly smile phase, then I have the completely ignore them when they look phase, then I have gotten completely frustrated because they are looking at me phase, then I went to the…if you stare at me I will stare back at you phase, and I finally went to… ok if I notice you taking my picture, I will smile phase.(SIGH…as I shake my head).

Even though, I don’t welcome the attention, however, I do encourage foreigners of darker complexions to travel to places like China so the people can get use to seeing the worlds diversity.
 
ON A PERSONAL NOTE: (I corresponded with a friend, who is a seasoned traveler, with the following message:) 

“I just returned from Sanya Island yesterday, and it was a pretty interesting trip.

I'm getting totally personal right now, so here goes....

The strangest feeling came over me while I was in Sanya...I felt a combination of homesick and lonely. At the time, I didn't know what to do with the feelings. I believe what triggered it was constantly being starred at by the natives on the island, and having my picture taken without my knowledge, however, some I agreed to because I was politely asked. I truly felt like I was on display. It almost seems like every where in China is over crowded with people. I found more peace when I went inland to the rainforest, where I could see nature and my feelings seemed more balanced.
 
The most interesting part is, I rarely feel lonely or homesick. That was a new one for me. As long as, I can adapt and feel comfortable, I don't get homesick. What's also interesting is that had so many people around me... including my two friends, but I still felt the lonely feeling.

I’m experiencing some different and unexpected things on this journey.”

I figured I would share on this blog the truth about what I am feeling while I’m on this journey, and by the way my friend provided me with the best possible insight. Thank God for great listeners.



SIDE NOTE: Babies wear the seat of their pants cut out without diapers here…. It is truly interesting to see. I guess it’s a form potty training.    

2 comments:

  1. What a great adventure you're on! Your creativity will flow when it's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pamela! You are absolutely right. Since this blog I have written two poems so far. I'm making progress!

    ReplyDelete